The North Carolina Museum of Art strives to be accessible to all visitors. If you have a question, concern or suggestion about accessibility, contact us at (919) 664-6743 or by e-mail.
- Free ADA-compliant parking is available.
- Curb cuts are located at all entrances to the Museum.
- Motorized and regular wheelchairs of standard size as well as rollators are available free of charge and may be checked out at the Information Desk in West or East Building.
- Elevators are available to all floors of East Building. West Building is a single story.
- Accessible restrooms are available in West Building and on the top three levels of East Building in the East Stair Tower.
- Museum entrances have automatic doors.
- Service animals are welcome.
- Although the Museum Park includes some paved trails, wheelchairs are not recommended because of steep grades in the natural landscape.
- Assistive listening devices are available from audiovisual staff in the Museum Auditorium and available for docent-guided tours at the Information Desk in West Building.
- School and public docent-led tours including American Sign Language (ASL) are available upon request with at least four weeks notice. Contact Jen Coon, (919) 664-6820.
- A written transcript of the Cell Phone Tour is available at the Information Desk in West Building.
- Braille is on all Museum directional signs and elevators.
- Large-print label text is available at the entrance to special exhibitions.
- Audio description is provided for select outdoor films by Arts Access Inc.
- Docent-led tactile tours are available for visitors with vision loss. Please request these tours at least four weeks in advance. Contact Beth Shaw McGuire, (919) 664-6778.
- Large-print labels for selected works in the permanent collection are available at West Building Information Desk.
- Spanish-language Visitor Guides and Special Exhibition Gallery Guides are available at the Information Desk.
- Strollers are available free of charge and may be checked out at the Information Desk in West or East Building.
- Coat check is available free of charge and is located behind the Information Desk in West Building and East Building.
- Lockers are available free of charge and are located behind the Information Desk in West Building and East Building.
- Drinking fountains are located behind the Information Desk in West Building and on the top three levels of East Building.
- First aid assistance is available by alerting any Museum guard.
- Patrons requiring accessible seating for events in the amphitheater and wishing to purchase tickets online should buy general admission tickets, including any necessary companion tickets. When you arrive at the amphitheater, a guard at the entrance gate will show you to your designated seating area.