Friends of the Judaic Art Gallery
The Judaic Art Gallery at the North Carolina Museum of Art illuminates the spiritual and ceremonial life of the Jewish people through works of art of aesthetic excellence. The gallery features decorative ornaments for the Torah and synagogue as well as objects used to honor the Sabbath and other holidays, to sanctify the Jewish home, and to mark the cycle of life. The objects, created for Jewish communities throughout the world, express a wide variety of forms and styles, both historical and modern. Together, the objects on view in the Judaic Art Gallery attest to the power of art in the service of faith and community.
Opened in 1983 under the guidance of the late Dr. Abram Kanof, a renowned scholar of Jewish art, the gallery is one of only two permanent galleries dedicated to Judaica in an American art museum. A visit to the beautiful new gallery will inspire you to …
- Discover the many forms and styles of ceremonial art.
- Explore the rituals and the meanings of the symbols.
- Enjoy the beauty and artistry of finely crafted works of art.
The Friends of the Judaic Art Gallery, a volunteer group affiliated with the North Carolina Museum of Art, supports the Gallery by:
- Donating funds and fundraising for new acquisitions to enhance the collection.
- Sponsoring public educational programs related to the Judaic art collection.
- Underwriting scholarly research and conservation of the Judaic art collection.
- Serving as advocates for the Museum and the Judaic Art Gallery throughout the state and region.
- Hosting an annual Purim celebration to raise funds for the Judaic Art Gallery.
In the future, support of the Friends of the Judaic Art Gallery will enable the Museum to expand the gallery’s mission to include:
- Temporary exhibitions related to Jewish art and culture.
- Exhibitions of Judaica drawn from the NCMA collection and made available for loan to museums in North Carolina and beyond.
- Technology-based educational programs for teachers, students, and the lifelong learner.
- Collaborations with North Carolina colleges and universities.
The Friends of the Judaic Art Gallery offers the opportunity to remember or honor a friend or family member through the donation of funds to acquire important Judaic objects or to underwrite related educational and outreach programs.
For more information about donation or to join the Friends, contact FJAG@ncartmuseum.org.
To make contributions to the Judaic Art Gallery or Judaic Art Endowment, make an online donation or contact:
Associate Director of Membership and Annual Giving
Chief Advancement Officer