As a contributor to Talent Within: NCMA Staff Art Exhibition, opening August 14, I look forward to seeing many of my colleagues’ artwork on the Museum’s walls. Having worked at the NCMA for over 34 years, I’ve gotten to know many works of art intimately and am often inspired by the permanent collection. As an artist I’m also inspired by the interplay of language and visual representation …
This portrait of my son, Jackson, who is a talented young musician, is made up of brief, handwritten biographies of 12 of Jackson’s favorite composers. They are:
- Johann Sebastian Bach (1685–1750)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756–1791)
- Ludwig van Beethoven (1771–1827)
- Frédéric Chopin (1810–1849)
- Modest Mussorgsky (1839–1881)
- Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov (1844–1908)
- Claude Debussy (1862–1918)
- Sergei Rachmaninoff (1873–1943)
- Gustav Holst (1874–1934)
- George Gershwin (1898–1937)
- John Lennon (1940–1980)
- Paul McCartney (born 1942)
Talent Within: NCMA Staff Art Exhibition runs August 14, 2021–February 13, 2022, and features 25 works by staff members who represent a cross-section of the Museum’s broad range of departments and professions.
Talented NCMA staffer Angela Lombardi describes the intricacy of the technique she used to create La Viparessa.
NCMA intern Luis Medina Jr. on the highlight of his experience while working at the Museum: Art in Bloom.