Winter Solstice Lantern Walk
Bundle up and come together as we honor the quiet beauty of the approaching winter season with a handmade paper lantern walk through the Museum Park. We are hosting a community-driven celebration inspired by the Hillsborough Arts Council’s annual Solstice Lantern Walk. Bring your own homemade lantern (no flames) or come early to make one with us. Group procession begins at 6 pm.
How it works
Join us with your friends and family for a special and peaceful night in the Park. The group procession begins at 6 pm from the Ellipse.
You can make your own lanterns at home in advance to bring with you (see instructions below) or come between 5 and 6 pm to create one with us before the procession.
Homemade lantern tips
- Use white paper/material.
- No candles or flames. If you want to illuminate your lantern, use white battery-operated string or LED lights.
- Get creative! Cut out your own unique design or layer paper designs on top. You can even purchase a premade paper lantern and modify that.
- Lanterns can be any shape or size. Bells, chimes, and other embellishments can also be added. We encourage you to make it your own!
- See this video for more inspiration.
- Please leave pets at home.
- No glass containers, food, or alcohol allowed.
- This event is entirely outside; dress appropriately for the weather and walking.
- The procession is along a paved trail, which is wheelchair accessible, and the total distance is three-quarters of a mile.
Image courtesy of Orange County Arts Commission