Dig it . . . like a grave. The horror begins at 6:30 pm, followed at 9 pm by a screening of What We Do in the Shadows, a vampire comedy and instant cult hit written by, directed by, and starring Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi of Flight of the Conchords.
Our sinister soirée features:
- Creepy portraits with visiting superstar celebrity photographer Wes Naman. Costumes highly recommended.
- Free costume workshop with actress/costume designer Victoria Elaine Singleton beginning at 7 pm. She’ll do your Halloween makeup and teach you how to create a creepy look using repurposed materials. RSVP to Molly Matlock by October 27.
- Kocina freaky food truck offering South American fare and hot beverages
- Magic and mentalism by Matt Brockman
- Fortunetelling by Aubry Lindros
- And other spine-tingling surprises!
What We Do in the Shadows
(2014) (86 min.) Rated R for bloody violent content, some sexual material, and language.
Co-stars, writers, and directors of What We Do in the Shadows, Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement have collaborated since they met in their 1990s college comedy troupe, the Humourbeasts. The pair describe Shadows as “an unholy union of ideas” inspired by Clement’s early obsession with the undead and his later obsession with This Is Spinal Tap. As it follows a brood of aging bloodsuckers trying to make rent and to adapt their old-fashioned sensibilities to the ordinary pitfalls of modernism, the film proves that no one is too old or too immortal to outlive a midlife crisis.
“Not just horror comedy at its best. It’s comedy itself at its best."—Access Reel